Do you practice good self care? its not a selfish task, believe me. Its a necessary function of human life to endeavour we have good mental health, a healthy body & it is just damn good for the soul!
Everyday life has its impact on all of us in different ways. You’re busy, and finding the time to take proper care of yourself can be hard. But if you don’t, it won’t be long before you’re battered from exhaustion and operating in a mental fog where it’s hard to care about anything or anyone. Everyone has experienced this from time to time, as do I. For me throughout various stages of my life I have juggled my job, our home, our kids; often collapsing in a heap by 8pm feeling sorry for myself and generally going to bed full faced or in a sorry state where I have removed my makeup with of all things… a baby wipe! I’m so glad those days are over. Don’t get me wrong, everyday is still as manic as the day before, but do you know what? I wouldn’t change it for the world. I love my life, I love my kids and yes, it is exhausting. But I made one simple change to my life that has transformed my coping capabilities, balanced me as a person and given me a boost of self belief that I never would of expected.
What did I do? I decided to practice good self care. This isn’t one hit treatment, its a long standing change to your life that puts you at the centre to ensure your mind, body & soul are in a good healthy state to manage your life in a way that makes you happy and healthy. A lot of small changes can make a huge difference to your life. I live by the small changes, they are manageable and more sustainable in the long term. A lot of modern day commercialism has ruled self care with its self care kit promotions, skinny diets & insane yoga poses that you’ll be lucky to ever get half way to. Radical and unmanageable fads aren’t going to get you anywhere, as pretty & attractive as they look. The practice of ‘Self Care’ is provided for you, by you by identifying your needs and addressing them. What works for me, may not necessarily work for you. It is taking the time to do some of the activities that nurture you. I wanted to write about Self Care as for me, it plays a huge part in my skincare routine & I believe every woman, or man should feel they are enough and to take care of themselves.
Self care is about taking proper care of yourself and treating yourself as kindly as you treat others. So I wont be advising you to do all that much accept think about yourself. What do you need? What can you do in your life to release tensions, relax your mind and enable you to nurture yourself in the process? as I say, these are small, sustainable changes. So I came up with a few suggestions to ignite your brain or trigger a response:
Remember the three categories, Mind, Body, Soul:
- Take a different route to work: The monotony of the same routine day in day out is enough in itself sometimes. So if there is the option, take a different route! Break the routine & feel more awake at different surroundings. Not able to? try it at lunchtime!
- Declutter: Clean, sort out the massive pile of post that never moves or simyle colour coordinate your wardrobe. Instant clarity!
- Be Selfish: Steal a moment, do one thing a day that makes you happy
- Give your body some TLC: This is my favourite one! Every evening, I love to wind down with my skincare routine. I love the luxury involved & the thought process behind why I am applying each stage of my routine. Its a pat on the back for surviving the day, a warm hug to say ‘your OK’ & pick me up to say ‘Your worth it darling!’.
- Take a deep breathe: Several actually, take the time to practice a little deep breathing, or even meditate. Whatever tickles your fancy.
- Exercise: You don’t have to get in a yoga pose, just your half hour lunchtime walk to get away from the desk makes a difference.
- Help: Be it yourself or someone else in need. Taking the time to help someone with a door, shopping or a compliment to make their day. If its you that needs help, reach out. Asking never hurts anyone & lets your support system know you need them.
- Check yourself: Take 5 minutes at least to sit quietly and evaluate how you’re doing. Checking in with yourself will help you keep on top of your emotional status.
- Spoil yourself: Shut the curtains, light the candles, put on some music and love yourself with a pamper evening.
All these little moments you take to take care of yourself will make a huge difference to your life. I wanted to share my thoughts on Self Care with you as for me & this blog, it plays a huge part in my life. People really should take care of themselves & ensure that when your saying yes to someone else, your not saying no to you. My change to Green Beauty & skincare is a huge part in my self care routine, so I hope you get this from the blog. Enjoy the journey & don’t be afraid to touch in.